We created this delectable plum chutney for Vijaya Dasami, Divine Mother's victory celebration for overcoming the forces of darkness.
5 lb plums
1 cup dark brown sugar
3" fresh ginger root
4 hot green or yellow chillies
1 tbsp ghee (Learn how to make ghee)
2 pieces cinnamon stick
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup raisins
- Chop plums, put in large heavy-bottomed pan, add a little water, bring to boil and simmer, stirring frequently.
- Once the plums are partly cooked, add the brown sugar and continue cooking to a jam-like consistency.
- Meanwhile, finely chop ginger and chilies.
- Heat ghee in a small frying pan and add mustard seeds and fennel seeds. When the mustard seeds have popped, add ginger, chllies and cinnamon sticks and fry until the ginger is browned.
- Add raisins and cook gently until the raisins swell up. Tip this fried mix into the plums and add the allspice.
- Now fry the coconut flakes in the residual ghee until they turn golden and add them also.
- Serve hot.
Can be canned if desired.
Alakananda Ma is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and phone appointments available. Book now!