This chickpea risotto was created for a meeting of environmental activists. The main menu for the dinner meeting was lasagna and I thought it would be good to have an allergy-free alternative. The combination of chickpeas and rice makes a complete protein, so this recipe is a meal in a dish. A green salad would be a good accompaniment.
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 4 carrots
- 2 summer squash or zucchini
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated sheep pecorino
- 4 sprigs basil
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- Slice carrots and squashes, chop tomatoes, finely chop garlic.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pan, heat olive oil, fry garlic.
- Now add the vegetables and stir fry.
- When the vegetables begin to soften add the cooked rice and fry for a few minutes.
- Now add the chickpeas and enough boiling vegetable stock to cover. Simmer, stirring frequently and adding more stock as needed.
- Towards the end, chop and add the basil as well as the nutmeg, salt, pepper and sheep cheese.
- It is ready when the rice is soft and a bit sticky.
Alakananda Ma is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and phone appointments available. Book now!