Kadhi is a famous North Indian soup made from gram flour and yogurt/buttermilk. This recipe for Gujerati Khadi finds mention in the Ayurvedic Text Bhavprakash.
2 Cups buttermilk
Ginger, chopped 1/2inch
2 Green chillies, chopped
Salt To Taste
Handful Coriander leaves
Oil 2 tsp
Pinch Turmeric powder
½ tsp Cinnamon powder
Cumin seeds ¼ tsp
Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
Few Curry leaves
Asafoetida 1 pinch
- Beat the curd and add two cups of water. Add the besan, salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Make a paste of ginger, chilies, cinnamon and corainder leaves.
- Boil the curd mixture on slow heat and stir continuously.
- Add the ground paste, and boil again.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all seasonings.
- Fry until they splutter.
- Pour this seasonings over guajarati kadhi.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
Alakananda Ma is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and phone appointments available. Book now!