Today's spontaneous recipe creation from whatever was at hand...Potato, Squash and Chard Sabji. A delicious vegetarian dish for a main meal! Enjoy the recipe and happy cooking!
5 red potatoes
2 delicata squashes
1 bunch rainbow chard
1 handful cilantro,
2" fresh ginger, chopped finely
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
2 tbs ghee (Learn how to make ghee)
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1Tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
Water, about half a cup
- Parboil the potatoes and then cube them. (DO NOT peel, most of the nutrients are in or near the skin). Cube delicata squash. Chop chard.
- In cast iron wok or tawa heat the ghee, turn up to medium high. Add mustard seeds. As soon as they turn grey and pop, turn heat down to low and add the fennel and then the cumin. When they darken slightly, add the ginger. When ginger has browned, add the turmeric, garam masala and ground coriander and stir in for a minute.
- Now add the tomatoes and turn the heat up to medium. When the tomatoes have softened, add the potatoes, squash and chard and stir carefully until the vegetables are coated with the spices.
- Next add the salt and about half a cup of water, put on lid and simmer, stirring every few minutes and adding more water if needed to prevent sticking.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft, about twenty minutes.
- Chop the cilantro finely and add at the end, right before serving. Serve with rice, dal and chutney or pickle. We also chopped fresh cilantro and mixed with coconut powder for a pitta-soothing condiment. Cilantro helps chelate heavy metals.
Alakananda Ma is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and phone appointments available. Book now!