Here is a delicious garden vegetable soup for the time of year. Enjoy this soup using veggies from your garden, CSA or farmer's market. Thanks to garden, gardeners and Devas.
(Quantities vary according to size and availability of vegetables)
- 2-3 carrots
- 1-2 beets
- 1-2 turnips
- The greens from the beets and turnips, chopped
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash (crookneck or straightneck)
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful chopped fresh herbs (e.g. basil, rosemary, oregano, sage, thyme)
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- For the soup base, simmer together the lentils, chopped tomato and greens in water or vegetable broth.
- Slice the vegetables and lightly stir-fry in olive oil.
- Once the lentils are tender, add the vegetables, salt and pepper to the soup pot and simmer until the veggies are tender.
- Add the chopped fresh herbs and simmer for a few more minutes to combine flavours.
- Serve with bread or cornbread, accompanied with salad, cheese or hummus.