This week some of the first year Gurukula students are doing their gradual reintroduction of food after their home panchakarma assignment. We created this recipe to support them--and they pronounced the recipe delicious!
Burdock root is important as both a food and herb. It has the bitter and astringent tastes recommended for the spring season, but it also has some sweetness because of its content of probiotic inulin. It is a good blood purifier and liver tonic and is also used in our pharmacy because of its anticancer and lymph cleansing actions.
Serves 4 as a one-pot dish or 6-8 with sabji
- 1 cup split yellow mung dal (available from Indian and Asian markets)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 burdock root, chopped
- 1 lb winter squash, cubed
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric or 2" fresh turmeric
- 1 tsp each of powdered fennel, cumin and coriander
- 6 cups water
- 1-2 tsp garam masala
- Wash mung dal and rice thoroughly. Heat the ghee or oil, add the spices and cook for a minute, taking care not to burn the spices.
- Add rice, dal, vegetables and water, then bring to boil. Turn down to simmer for 45 minutes or until mung dal is very soft in pot on stove.
- After cooking, add salt to taste. If you live at altitude, cook the mung beans for 45 minutes while soaking the rice, then add the rice and cook for 45 minutes more; or make the kitchari in a pressure cooker.
- For an extra touch of deliciousness, serve with Ginger, Turmeric, Cumin Flavoured Ghee.
Alakananda Ma M.B., B.S. (Lond.) is an Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and virtual appointments available. Book now!