Here's a delicious Ayurvedic nervine tonic recipe from Savitri, a student at Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula who hails from Mexico. After learning about soma, the Vedic nervine beverage, Savitri was reminded of Horchata, a traditional Mexican drink, and created a special recipe that fuses Ayurvedic wisdom with Mexican tradition. This recipe is rich in tyrosine, B vitamins, copper, magnesium and zinc to support brain function.
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 6 cups of water
- 1 can of organic coconut milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. cardamon
- 2 stick cinnamon
- 10 pecans
- 10 soaked almonds
- Jaggery to taste
- Soak the rice, jaggery and cinnamon in the 6 cups of water overnight
- Next morning, blend the mixture and strain.
- Put the liquid mix in the blender one more time and add cardamom, almonds, pecans, coconut milk, and vanilla.
- Stir well and serve at room temperature with a pinch of cinnamon.