This week Swami Paramananda visited Alandi Ashram from his mountain hermitage, bringing huge turnips, which he cultivated at 10,500 feet. Here is the recipe we created!
Serves 12 as a side dish
- 3 lb turnip
- 2 lb red potatoes
- The greens from the turnip (or 1 bunch kale)
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 2" fresh ginger
- 1 hot green chilli
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 pinch hing (asafoetida)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp amchur or mango powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp sunflower oil
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- Cut potatoes and turnip into half-inch cubes. Chop greens. Finely chop ginger and chillies.
- Heat oil in cast iron wok on medium high and drop in mustard seeds. When seeds turn grey and pop, immediately turn down heat, add cumin seeds and then hing and salt.
- Now add the ginger and chillies, and fry until they brown.
- Add the ground coriander, turmeric, garam masala and amchur.
- Turn heat up, add the tomatoes and cook until they soften.
- Add turnip and potatoes and stir until they are thoroughly coated with the spices.
- Now add the greens and half a cup of water, put on lid and allow to sauté. Stir from time to time, adding more water if needed to prevent sticking. This sabji should be moist but not watery, so only add enough water to allow it to sauté but not enough to create a watery sauce as this is a dry sabji.
- Keep cooking until potatoes and turnip are tender. Add the cilantro and serve.
Alakananda Ma M.B., B.S. (Lond.) is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and virtual appointments available. Book now!