Besan flour, also known as gram flour, is made from channa dal (deshi channa or bengal gram) a close relative of chickpeas. Its golden colour speaks to its high antoxidant content. Channa has a low glycemic index. This recipe is gluten free, nutritious, and supports breast milk production. It is good for vata, pitta, kapha (occasionally), rakta, sthanya.
- 3 cups besan flour (available at Indian grocery stores)
- 1/2 cup ghee (Learn How to Make Ghee)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup raw cane sugar (turbinado)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups hot water (or as needed)
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds
Serves up to 12
- Heat ghee in heavy bottomed pan.
- Add besan flour and roast until golden brown but not burnt.
- Add almonds and dates and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer until it thickens into a loose dough.
- Serve warm as a breakfast or dessert.
Alakananda Ma is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.