Dhoklas are a gluten free snack, light meal or a great party food. At Alandi, we served the dhoklas with hari chutney and Gujerati Khadi. Besan or gram flour, made from chana dal a relative of the chickpea, is available from Indian grocery stores and is a wonderful food, useful in celiac disease since it is gluten free, excellent for diabetes since it has a low glycemic index and superb for asthma because chana dal helps dry mucus from the lungs.
Makes 72 dhokla
To make batter the night before:
- 5 cups Besan flour
- 3 cup Yoghurt
- A little sugar
- Water as required to make a pancake-like batter
- Salt to taste
To add next morning:
- 1 Tbsp ginger paste
- 1.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp Soda (bi-carb)
- 3 Lemons juiced
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- Few Curry leaves
- 3tsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 tsp Oil
- Cilantro leaves (chopped)
- Grated fresh or powdered dry coconut
- In a bowl add besan flour, yoghurt and water.
- Mix well and make a smooth batter. The batter should be of thick consistency.
- Add salt and set aside in a warm place overnight to ferment.
- Take the ginger paste and add to the batter. Also add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Now if you have an idly steamer for 24 idlys, you will divide the batter into 3 parts and add the soda bicarb mixture to each batch right before you cook that batch. i.e . for each batch you will mix 1 tsp sodium bicarb, juice of one lemon and 1Tbsp oil
Note: If you don't have an idly steamer, you can cook the dhoklas by pouring the batter into a greased baking pan and steaming it in a large pot. Then cut the dhokla into squares.
- Grease the idly steamer with ghee and place just enough water in the bottom.
- Get ready to make the first of three batches of dhokla (and same procedure for the other 2 batches)
- In a small bowl take a tsp. of soda bi-carb, 1 tsp oil and lemon juice and mix well.
- Add this to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the greased idly pan and steam for 10-12 minutes or till done.
- Repeat this procedure for each of the three batches of dhokla
- Put all the 72 dhoklas in a large bowl
- Heat little oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds and curry leaves and allow to splutter. Remove and pour it over dhoklas.
- Garnish the besan dhokla with coriander and coconut powder
- Serve with hari chutney and Gujerati Khadi