Here is a great winter soup. It is warming and grounding, and it has a borscht-like colour. The combination of beta carotene and betain, along with ginger, helps ward off colds and flu.
1 bunch garden beets, washed and cubed
2 carrots, sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
2" piece of ginger, finely chopped
6 cups boiling water or vegetable broth
1 can red kidney beans
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Fresh dill, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in heavy bottomed pan, add garlic and ginger and cook until browned.
- Now add beets and carrots, cook for 5 minutes and add boiling water or stock. Cook until vegetables are fork tender.
- Process in blender or food processor.
- Now add the kidney beans, vinegar, salt and pepper and cook a few more minutes to combine flavours.
- Garnish with dill and if desired add a dollop of yogurt.
Alakananda Ma is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and phone appointments available. Book now!