Known in Sanskrit as haridra and in Hindi as Haldi, turmeric is anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial, anti-allergic, anticancer, blood purifier and digestant. Gain the full benefits of turmeric by including fresh turmeric in your diet. This recipe marries the benefits of turmeric with the anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antiviral and digestive properties of fresh ginger-- and adds additional curcumins from yellow mustard.
1 cup chopped raw turmeric
1 cup chopped ginger
1/2 cup lime juice
chopped green chilies as per the taste
salt to taste
1 tsp dried fenugreek seeds
1 tsp asafetida
1/4 cup mustard powder
- Fry fenugreek seeds and asafetida in a little oil until golden. Cool and powder.
- Mix mustard powder, fenugreek seeds and asafetida powder well.
- Apply the powder to turmeric and ginger.
- Pour lime juice and salt over it.
- Add chopped green chilies to the mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil until smoking and pour over the pickle.
- Store it in a sterilised glass jar.
- Serve it after 8 days.
Alakananda Ma M.B., B.S. (Lond.) is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and virtual appointments available. Book now!