Here is a delicious and nourishing dish for a special occasion. This is a marvelous building recipe.
- 1 cup basmati rice, washed, soaked and drained
- ¾ cup split yellow mung dal, washed and drained
- 1.5 tsp. turmeric
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup raw cashew pieces
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup raw, unsweetened, dry coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup raisins or currants
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 cloves
- 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1 whole dried red chili
- 1 pinch hing
- 1 cup organic frozen baby peas, defrosted
- 1.5 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. ghee
- 3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Combine the washed and drained rice and dal in a bowl, sprinkle in the turmeric and stir well until everything is coated with turmeric.
- Heat about 2 Tbsp. of ghee in a cast iron pan or heavy sauté pan and fry the almonds until they are golden brown. Take out with a slotted spoon, set aside, and fry the coconut until it is golden. Take out with a slotted spoon and mix with the almonds. Now gently puff the raisins in the ghee, making sure they don't get blackened or burnt. Mix with the almonds and coconut.
- Finally fry the cashew pieces for garnish until they are golden brown and set aside in a separate bowl. (Use more ghee if needed).
- Heat a little ghee in a pressure cooker and add the cinnamon stick, cloves, cumin seeds and red chilies. Fry a few minutes until the cumin seeds darken a shade, taking care not to burn the seeds.
- Now drop in the hing and stir in the rice, dal and turmeric mixture. Fry for 2-3 minutes and then add the boiling water. Mix in three quarters of the almond, coconut and raisin mixture. Pressure cook for about 45 minutes, keeping the heat low once the pan is on pressure.
- Take the pan off pressure, stir and add more water as needed for your desired consistency.
- Add the peas and cook a few minutes more.
- Stir in the salt.
- Serve, offering the rest of the nut and raisin mixture, the chopped cilantro and, separately, the cashews, as garnish.
Based on a recipe in Lord Krishna's Cuisine, the Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi
Alakananda Ma M.B., B.S. (Lond.) is an Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and virtual appointments available. Book now!