This is a great comfort food using winter vegetables. The recipe can be increased to feed a large number of people for a party or gathering. Certainly very popular among the students!
- 2 carrots,
- 1 medium turnips,
- 1 rutabega,
- 1 Parsnips,
- 2 medium zucchini,
- 1 golden beets,
- 2 celery stalks,
- 1 head of broccoli,
- 2 large portabello mushrooms,
- 2 cloves garlic,
- 2 medium tomatoes,
- 1 bunch Italian parsley,
- 1handful rosemary
- 1 handful sage
- 1teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 ounces ghee (Learn how to make ghee)
- Sheep pecorino
- Slice the root vegetables and the zucchini, cut the celery in 1/2" thick pieces and the broccoli in florets.
- Lightly sauté the veggies and arrange in bottom of a large baking dish.
- Add olive oil, chopped herbs, sliced tomatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic cloves.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes. Mash the cooked potatoes with salt, pepper, and ghee. Spread on top of the veggies.
- Grate sheep pecorino on top, cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for at least 50 minutes or an hour.
- At the end, take off the foil to brown the top for about ten minutes.
Alakananda Ma M.B., B.S. (Lond.) is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and virtual appointments available. Book now!