When cinnamon is mentioned, perhaps you think of the aroma of freshly baked cinnamon buns, or adding a dash of cinnamon to your favourite coffee. Yet in Ayurveda, cinnamon, known as tvak, is understood as much more than a comforting flavor--it's also a powerful medicine for the respiratory, cardiovascular and female reproductive systems. Cinnamon is also very beneficial for blood sugar problems. Here is a selection of cinnamon home remedies.
- Cough, cold, congestion: Mix ½ tsp. cinnamon in 1 tsp. honey. Eat 2-3 x daily.
- Sore throat: Mix 1 tbsp. honey, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1 tsp. lemon juice in a cup of hot water and drink.
- Toothache, gum problems: Make a paste of cinnamon in honey and apply 2-3 x daily.
- To strengthen teeth: chew on a small piece of cinnaomon.
- Home made yummy cinnamon toothpowder: Mix equal parts of cinnamon, clove, fennel, licorice root powder and cardamom.
- Diarrhoea: Combine ½ cup yoghurt, ½ tsp. cinnamon and pinch of nutmeg. Eat this 2-3 x daily until symptoms subside.
- Sinus headache: Make a paste of ½ tsp. cinnamon mixed in water and apply to the temples or the area of pain.
- To lower LDL cholesterol: take ½ tsp. cinnamon daily
- Weight loss: Take 2 cups boiling water, add ½ tsp. cinnamon powder and steep for 5-10 minutes. Add 2 tsp. honey Drink on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
- Dysmenorrhoea or menorrhagia: Take 1 teaspoon of hibiscus and 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon and steep for 20 minutes in 1 cup boiling water. Strain and drink 3-4 times daily.
- Cold hands and feet: Steep 1tsp. cinnamon and ¼ tsp. trikatu, (dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper), in 1 cup hot water for 10 minutes, add honey and drink 2x daily. (If you don't have trikatu you can use 1/8 tsp. dry ginger and 1/8 tsp. black pepper instead).
Note: If you are pregnant, do not use cinnamon home remedies (you may still use cinnamon as a spice).
Sources: Alandi Pharmacy manual, Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing by Usha and Vasant Lad, http://theindianspot.com/home-remedies-using-cinnamon/.
Alakananda Ma M.B., B.S. (Lond.) is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and virtual appointments available. Book now!