Mango is not only a delicious food, it is also a medicine used to make an array of home remedies. Every part of the mango tree offers medicinal properties, Here we will consider Ayurvedic remedies made from unripe green mango, ripe mango and mango seeds.
Green mango remedies
1. Burning eyes: put grated green mango pulp on the eyelids at bedtime.
2. Sun exposure: For excess sun or UV exposure eat a few slices of green mango with a pinch of salt.
3. Green Mango Cooler
From the kitchens of Maharashtra, Dr Lad has introduced us to this amazing summer cooler, known as kairi pahna.
Makes 6-8 glasses
4 medium-sized green mangoes
1-2 cups jaggery or tubinado sugar (to taste)
1 cup water
Saffron threads - 1/4 tsp.
Ground cardamom - 1/2 tsp.
Lime juice to taste
Sprigs of mint to garnish
Wash, peel and grate the raw mangoes.
Mix the mangoes, sugar, and water in a deep saucepan or pressure cooker and boil till the mangoes are soft.
Put this mixture into a blender and blend till smooth.
Put the blended mix back into the saucepan
Add cardamom powder and saffron and cook for a few more minutes
Allow to cool completely
Fill each glass a quarter full with the pulp and then fill the rest of the glass with pure room temperature water
Pour into glasses, add lime juice to taste
Garnish with mint
Some people like to add a pinch of rock salt
Ripe mango remedies
1. For energy and vitality: Eat a mango followed by a cup of warm milk with a pinch of cardamom and a teaspoon of ghee. Better still, eat a mango followed by a cup of warm saffron milk.
2.Mango is a superb source of antioxidants for eyesight. Here’s a recipe for a mango drink for those seeking to prevent eye problems such as macular degeneration
Mango drink(by Savitri and Ma)
10 raw almonds: soaked overnight and peeled.
1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into pieces.
1 Tablespoon organic rose petals
1/8 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp anise seed
¼ tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
¼ tsp ground fennel
Pinch of black pepper
2-3 cups pure water or unhomogenized cow’s milk, brought to a boil.
Combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
Mango seed recipes
1. Intestinal worms: 1 tsp. roasted powdered mango seed 2-3 x daily with honey
2. Diarrhoea: 1 tsp. roasted powdered mango seed 2 x daily mixed in yoghurt.
3. Dandruff: ½ tsp powdered mango seed, ½ tsp. haritaki, 1/3 cup of milk. Apply to scalp at night and wash out in the morning.
Alakananda Ma M.B., B.S. (Lond.) is an Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and virtual appointments available. Book now!