As the weather warms, keep the Ayurvedic herb clove in mind, a spice that stimulates digestion while cooling and calming pitta.
The distinctive flavour of clove can be found in Indian, African, Middle Eastern and Mexican cuisines, as well as in British and American favourites like baked apple, pumpkin pie and mulled wine.
While many of us are familiar with using clove or clove oil for toothache, there are many more home remedies that make use of clove's numerous healing properties, including expectorant, digestant, antifungal and antibacterial capabilities. Here is a collection of clove home remedies.
- Toothache: 1-2 drops of oil placed on a cotton ball. Rub over the affected tooth for relief.
- To remove bad breath: chew cloves.
- Colds or sneezing: Boil 6-7 clove buds with 2 Tbsp aniseed in 2 cups litre of water and cook down to ½ cup. Drink with sugar.
- Cough: Prepare a decoction by boiling 5-6 cloves in 30 ml of water. Take this decoction with honey thrice a day as an expectorant.
- Cough: mix 1 tsp honey with a pinch of clove powder. Take this mixture 2-3x daily.
- Cough: Chew a clove with salt.
- Cough or sore throat: Roast clove and chew.
- Hoarse voice: 1 pinch clove, 1 pinch cardamom, ½ tsp. licorice root powder, 1 tsp honey--mix well and slowly lick this mixture.
- Athma: Soak 2 cloves, 1 tsp tulsi and10 black peppercorns in boiling water and steep for 15 minutes. Strain, add two tsp honey and drink with milk.
- Spasmodic cough e.g. in bronchitis and asthma: mix a few drops each of clove oil and garlic oil in honey and eat at bedtime.
- Acid indigestion: Chew a clove.
- Indigestion: add 1t of powdered clove to 1 cup boiling water. Drink 3 times each day.
- Indigestion, low appetite: 1 pinch clove powder, ½ tsp. trikatu, 1 tsp honey 5 minutes efoe food to kindle agni.
- Stomachache: Take a drop of clove oil with sugar.
- Nausea and vomiting: Mix clove powder in honey and lick.
- Morning sickness: Boil a clove bud boiled in half a cup of water and sip.
- Diarrhoea: Take ½ cup yoghurt and mix in 1 pich clove, 1 pinch saffron and 1pinch nutmeg. Eat twice daily.
- Headache: Prepare a paste of clove with salt. Mix in milk and drink.
- Headache: Apply paste of clove over forehead and temples.
- Joint pain, muscle cramps: Apply a few drops of clove oil mixed with mustard oil.
- Earache: mix a few drops of clove oil in sesame oil. Warm the mixture and put 2-3 drops in the ear.
- Acne: apply a paste of clove powder in honey over the affected area.
- Acne and acne scars: Mix a few drops of clove oil in jojoba oil or coconut oil and apply over acne or scars.
Sources include Ayurvedic Cooking for Self Healing by Usha and Vasant Lad, the Alandi Herbology Manual and http://garima-sancheti.suite101.com/home-remedies-with-clove-a139404
Alakananda Ma M.B., B.S. (Lond.) is an Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and virtual appointments available. Book now!