You'll love Ganesh's Green Dahl!
- 2 cups green split dhal
- 2 sliced tomatoes
- 2 cups chard
- 3 Tbs ghee (Learn how to make ghee)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp corriander powder
- 4 garlic
- 2 Tbs ginger (grated)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 3-4 Tbs cilantro (chopped)
- 4-5 cups of water
- Start by soaking the green split dhal for two hours.
- Put the dhal in the pressure cooker, with water, and boil it there for two hours.
- Meanwhile, saute the garlic in the ghee, then add the mustard seeds and let pop before adding the grated ginger. Having sauteed all these ingredients, mix the powder spices together with a bit of water in a small bowl and add them to the pan.
- Then add the sliced tomatoes and the chard and cook them for about five minutes, mixing them well together.
- Open the pressure cooker, remove the dahl, and mix it with the other ingredients in a large pan. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped cilantro and lemon juice just before serving over basmati rice.
Tips on cooking basmati rice
The rice can be covered once the water starts boiling and left on the stove on minimum heat for as long as two hours. The longer the better and when the rice on the bottom has acquired a golden color, you know it's perfectly cooked. You can tell if the rice is cooked, by whether the grains stand on end or not. Don't disturb the rice while it's cooking by stirring it with a spoon, that will make the water evaporate and then there won't be enough left for cooking the rice properly.
Alakananda Ma is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is a well known and highly respected practitioner in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Visit Alakananda Ma in Alandi Ashram’s ayurvedic clinic to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and phone appointments available. Book now!